HOW TO EAT HEALTHY WHILE TRAVELING
Traveling soon? Perhaps vacation? Business trip? No matter where you’re going, you’re probably going to appreciate some quick and easy food ideas. These can help you eat better while you’re on the road. While these tips can all be used right here at home, this is extra-important when you’re traveling when it’s easy to get thrown off your healthy habits.
Pro Tip: When booking your hotel room, get one with a mini-fridge. This will help you store some of your healthy snacks and groceries while you’re there. Even better, rent a house on AirB&B or HomeAway so you can cook to your heart’s content!
BRINGING YOUR OWN HEALTHY SNACKS
This is important because not only will it keep you from becoming a “hangry,” but it can also hold you off until you’re able to stop at a proper grocery store for actual REAL food! Here are my favorite on-the-go snacks to have in your bag and/or cooler:
- Try fresh fruit or boiled eggs in a cooler (don’t forget the ice packs).
- Your favorite nuts and seeds or trail mix.
- Dried and/or freeze-dried fruit.
- Kind Bars or Rx Bars of your choice.
- Sliced veggies of your choice with a dip (hummus, guacamole, salad dressing, etc.).
- Hi quality “cereal” like this Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Style Muesli
- Savory snacks like roasted chickpeas, or these awesome Epic pork rinds.
- High-quality protein powder like My Protein to make your own smoothies at your destination. You can pack a mini blender, like a Magic Bullet, if needed. Protein smoothies are a much healthier option than the hotel breakfast buffet!
- And don’t forget your drinks. Bring some water with you. Or if you’re flying, choose water in the airport and on the plane.
HOW TO FIND HEALTHY FOOD AT YOUR DESTINATION
Finding healthy food at your destination has never been easier. Here are some tips.
- Use the Google machine to find a local grocery store! I usually can scrounge up some healthy meals there, especially if there is a salad bar.
- Get an Instacart or Peapod account, and have your groceries and healthy snacks delivered right to your hotel or rental!
- For my gluten free friends, I love to use the website and app Find MeGluten Free where gluten free eaters rate local restaurants for gluten free food.
THE BIG IDEA
Traveling often comes with unnecessary junk food that can derail your healthy lifestyle. Planning ahead and being prepared can be simple, and help keep your health goals on track even when you’re out and about! What are YOUR ideas for healthy eating while traveling? Please share a comment below…